Edit: NO TRADES!!! Saints to not be big traders....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Steven, Armo, Alias, Heyne, Stanley, Miles, Simpkin ... are all worth a crack.

If we had traded in some more middle to bottom 6 players this young group would not have been inspired to step-up.
Agree. It would have pushed everyone down one.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

So relieved when the 2.00pm deadline came around. There was not much going around that most of us on here (and more importantly our coaching staff) thought would add to our list. Youth is the way to go.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:I for one am very glad we didn't trade. The quality of the players that were being thrown around were IMO not what we need. .
Yes I agree...from the players traded , or suggested as being available by Walker.

If you trade ina player there has to be the intent that he will get senior game time, otherwise he would not join in the first place.

Steven, Armo, Alias, Heyne, Stanley, Miles, Simpkin...are all wortha crack.
If we had traded in some more middle to bottom 6 players this young group would not have been inspired tostep-up.

And we were not in a postion to trade in a star.
Who is this Alias you keep going on abouth. I notice you never mention Alistair Smith but his nickname is Smithy so i am confused by Alias.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SaintWodonga wrote:Still would have liked us to trade for picks...
Maybe they think 2 or 3 players they're interested in from other clubs could be delisted, and will try and take them in the draft :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Who is this Alias you keep going on abouth. I notice you never mention Alistair Smith but his nickname is Smithy so i am confused by Alias.
Your reply indicates that you know who Alias is.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Of course I do but whay do you call him that. It is like people on here who call Joey Monty. I fail to get it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Maybe they think 2 or 3 players they're interested in from other clubs could be delisted, and will try and take them in the draft :shock:
Well if they did pick up a Sheldon etc...at least they know they have to fight fora spot.

A trded in player would have to have been given first opportunity.

This way too, all our younger players know that they can have a real crack at in 2001. A group of them are now physically mature enough to handle the bigtime if they are good enough...and if they are willing to work hard enough.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Of course I do but whay do you call him that. It is like people on here who call Joey Monty. I fail to get it.
because supporters love to be part of the action and create their own nicknames for players. Jason blakes nickname at the club is neil but lots of people call him blakey etc. I tend to ignore your waste of space but stop being a "I know it all" knob!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

because supporters love to be part of the action and create their own nicknames for players. Jason blakes nickname at the club is neil but lots of people call him blakey etc. I tend to ignore your waste of space but stop being a "I know it all" knob!
You really are a little child who has no idea about life. Just one question, do you have a friend at all or are you a loner like some of your pathetic posts suggest. By the way plenty at the club call Blake, Blakey as well as Neil.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You are not really interested. You just want to regail us with the crumbs your wife feeds you from the Club.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You are not really interested. You just want to regail us with the crumbs your wife feeds you from the Club.
That is funny. I can honestly say my wife has not one thing to do with the club but i am glad you think that. I will show her the post. She may laugh for the first time in a week when she reads it.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Well their goes next year. Oh well

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Well if they did pick up a Sheldon etc...at least they know they have to fight fora spot.

A trded in player would have to have been given first opportunity.

This way too, all our younger players know that they can have a real crack at in 2001. A group of them are now physically mature enough to handle the bigtime if they are good enough...and if they are willing to work hard enough.
Well whether it's Sheldon, or Johnstone (they're supposedly interested in) Notte, Beau Wilkes, Chris Hall - even someone like Ed Barlow could be tipped out :shock: -

Yes delisted players who are drafted would have to earn their spot, unlike a more high profile trade....
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Mon 11 Oct 2010 5:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
saintly
Saintsational Legend

so we have such a good list that noone was worth trading???????????

bob__71
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You really are a little child who has no idea about life. Just one question, do you have a friend at all or are you a loner like some of your pathetic posts suggest. By the way plenty at the club call Blake, Blakey as well as Neil.
Wow, you really are a psycho....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Wow, you really are a psycho....
Thanks you. What time do you want to catch up for a beer? you come across as a nice guy.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

saintly wrote:so we have such a good list that noone was worth trading???????????
How dare you interupt a flame war with something relevant to the thread. :wink:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:so we have such a good list that noone was worth trading???????????
we seem to have such great kids coming along. I mean next year is Armo's break out year just like this year was meant to be.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

once again, obsessed with the idea that I am a child.... not the thing to be telling people p66 :wink:

Not sure how my friend count has anything to do with this thread. Was just pointing out that players get given nicknames that are not used by those at the club or the players family... I know of someone who calls eddy big shorts....., guess what, I aint one to rain on someone's parade. They are a great supporter and enjoy supporting the players in their own way...

people like on the other hand try big note yourself at every level. Very sad.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Depends on how you define worth trading.

There are many players on our list that other clubs would love to have aquired, but we did not want to lose them.

Others are probably depth players for us, but if put on the trade table would garner little value. So hence not worth trading.

Of our list say Arimtage may have been tradeable...but we would probably not have gained anywhere near what we could have used to gain an equivalent player.

Maybe we could have swapped Armitage for Sherman, but would that have gained much?

Personally I think Armo was with hangingon to fora crack at it next year.

MadSaintFan
Club Player

Apparently the Saints were the only club to have no representation at Etihad Stadium on the final day of trade week.

Shows the Club must be confident in the young talent they have available and not interested in the C Grade players open for trade. Other than Krakour I couldnt see any of the players put up for trade being any value.

As I've said many times: Improvement in 2011 will come from - Armitage, Geary, Eddy, Stanley, Lynch, Heyne, Simpkin, A.Smith. Not from other teams rejects.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

As someone alluded to the other day, here is why we didn't trade....and I am perfectly happy with that.

saintnick12
Club Player

Any word on whether Jones and Ray have signed yet. Last I heard they were the last two remaining of the main group still unsigned.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:Any word on whether Jones and Ray have signed yet. Last I heard they were the last two remaining of the main group still unsigned.
latest on any contracts was from Ross last Sunday
Any improvement will largely have to come from within its list.

"We're certainly not going to overreact by tipping out players this week. Most of the group are contracted," Lyon said.

Without list manager Matthew Drain, who left the club this week to concentrate on a new career outside of football, Lyon will oversee the structure of his future playing group.

He will start this week by addressing his out-of-contract grand final players Robert Eddy, Andrew McQualter and Sean Dempster.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5933522302

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintnick12
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:Any word on whether Jones and Ray have signed yet. Last I heard they were the last two remaining of the main group still unsigned.
latest on any contracts was from Ross last Sunday
Any improvement will largely have to come from within its list.

"We're certainly not going to overreact by tipping out players this week. Most of the group are contracted," Lyon said.

Without list manager Matthew Drain, who left the club this week to concentrate on a new career outside of football, Lyon will oversee the structure of his future playing group.

He will start this week by addressing his out-of-contract grand final players Robert Eddy, Andrew McQualter and Sean Dempster.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5933522302
Ah good. I read somewhere on here in GF week that Ray and Jones were the only ones. No offence to the ones still outstanding but I'm glad to hear Ray and Jones are signed up. Can't see any of those three going anywhere if offered a contract, which you assume they would be.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.