As stupid as this sounds...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:what suburb is next to balaclava?
East St Kilda and Caulfield

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:what suburb is next to balaclava?
And speaking of balaclavas, a few of the blokes from TISM are saints supporters :wink:

bigred
Saintsational Legend

One kick wonder.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Superboot wrote:Best to think of the cross as just a design.

It might interest him to know that no person named Kilda actually existed.

One version of the origin of the name has it that it is derived from the Norse "sunt kelda" (sweet wellwater). There are various other explanations but general agreement that there is no such saint.

And it's true that we have a large Jewish following, and even a Jewish premiership player, so if it's good enough for them....

What's more, at a recent home and away game I was sitting close to a group of young people in Saints gear who, from the girls' headscarves, were very obviously Muslim.
i think our large jewish following is because of the geographic location (st kilda) is near the jewish area. i dont think there is any significance with the colours. I assume ajax adopted saints colours just because of the geographical connection (large jewish community centred in caulfield).

The vast majority of Jews support Carlton because that is where all the Jews lived coming to Australia after World War II.

Then many Jews lived in the Elwood area, so we picked up a lot of supporters through that.

Collingwood also have a strong following... not sure why.

And Melbourne too, as demonstrated through Gutnick's presidency.

So I don't the AJAX colours were chosen because of St Kilda.

Ajax wears St Kilda jumpers because when they were formed in the 1950's, the then St Kilda FC President donated a set of jumpers to them.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Its all here! definite and strong connection to saints - including colours!

http://www.ajaxfc.com.au/html/s02_artic ... _top_id=56

In the early 1930s most of Melbourne's Jewish community lived in Carlton and Fitzroy. Many people had moved to St Kilda and Caulfield by the mid '30s. As a result great rivalry grew between the two factions. This rivalry led to people from both sides of the Yarra organising an annual football match to be played between the two Jewish "sections".

The Beginning - 1957 to 1961
The first annual general meeting of the Ajax Football Club was held at Phillip Lasky Hall, 97 Alma Road, St Kilda, on January 30, 1957.

With the help of St Kilda parliamentarian Baaron Snider, the club was able to get the Peanut Farm oval in Blessington Street St Kilda.

The club colours were to be the same as St Kilda in the Victorian Football League (V.F.L.) but would not include the Saints' emblem. Ajax Football Club president Dave Smith got a set of guernseys through Reuben Sackville, St Kilda president (1946-55).

Ajax's first match in the V.A.F.A. took place on May 3, 1957 at its home ground in Blessington Street known as the "Peanut Farm", because peanuts were originally grown there. Ajax won by 31 points (11.20-86 to 8.7-55) against Insurance Social Club Association (I.S.C.A.).
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 06 Oct 2010 6:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

tiger bound???

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Ajax wears St Kilda jumpers because when they were formed in the 1950's, the then St Kilda FC President donated a set of jumpers to them.
top of the class mr magic

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Inside knowledge! :)

FQF
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
You played for AJAX ?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Living and working in Saudi Arabia for 4 and a half years, I noticed one massive difference between Islam and all other religions.
That was the amount of public display of Islam.
The Quaran requires a muslim to profess his religion.
But in pratice tt was not enough for a Saudi to be muslim, they had to show it to their friends and neighbours.
And they could not allow themselves to be shown up by someone else appearing to be more muslim than them.

But this was only for public display.
In reality most Saudis I came into contact with were a lot less devout in private.

Bachar Houli may not be that devout a Muslim but if his culture is only partially like the Saudis he could not publicly be seen to wear a cross symbol.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

In the early 80s Margaret Thatcher was prime minister of the UK.
It was a time when Western political correctness insisted that all religions should be treated and respected equally.
Islam is quite clear on this, they are right, the rest of the world is wrong.
The Quran makes this clear, and damnation on any Muslim who dares think otherwise.
The Quran must be taken as literally correct, every word in it, no exceptions.

King Fahd of Saudi Arabia paid a visit to the UK.
The silly Brits fawned respect for Islam much to the kings amusement.
Then at his departure Thatcher gave him a present.
Some public service imbecile had thought to present him with a crucifix.
Diplomatically the King could not reject the gift.

The poor King dared not fly back to Saudi.
Instead he diverted his plane to Mooroco.
He remained in Mooroco until the fury at his acceptance of the gift had subsided and the religiuos leaders in Saudi had been appeased.
Only then did the King dare to return to his country.

Did you know that Saudi Arabia has a constitution - it is the Quran every word of it, but only as written in Arabic.
Meaning can be lost or altered in translation.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote:
joffaboy wrote:yes and all the Jews who have played for us were distressed by the cross as well :roll:

What a load of bollocks. If the dips.hit is that much of a fanatic, we dont want the clown at the club.

he can go and practice his idiotic fairytales at some other place.

Anyway as slow as a wet week, and crap with the ball. We've already got plenty of those types.
My sentiments exactly!
+1

Religion can be really stupid sometimes......and don't get me started on Ramadan!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Furphy wrote:
joffaboy wrote:yes and all the Jews who have played for us were distressed by the cross as well :roll:

What a load of bollocks. If the dips.hit is that much of a fanatic, we dont want the clown at the club.

Anyway as slow as a wet week, and crap with the ball. We've already got plenty of those types.
My sentiments exactly!
+1

Religion can be really stupid sometimes......and don't get me started on Ramadan!
What club does he play for?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Furphy wrote:

My sentiments exactly!
+1

What's the best place for this thread now...Opp Forum, or General?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: if u check the ABS (and other sources) you will find that caulfield/east st kilda is the highest jewish population in melbourne. by some way.

next is doncaster.
That is more of a recent development over the last 30 years.

And for most of us, we support our team because our parent/s did/do.

So although Jews live in Caulfield now, the alliances were created quite some time ago.
Last 30 years my arse.

I used to swim and play squash at the Ajax centre in Alma Road, East St Kilda in the '60s. In case you're short on maths that's 50 years ago, and the people of the Jewish faith were there for about 50 years before that.

The Jews in Carlton came after the second World War. The East St Kilda Caulfield Jews had been around since the 19th century. Ever hear of the first Australian born Governor General, Sir Isaac Isaacs?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
FQF wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: if u check the ABS (and other sources) you will find that caulfield/east st kilda is the highest jewish population in melbourne. by some way.

next is doncaster.

So although Jews live in Caulfield now, the alliances were created quite some time ago.
Last 30 years my arse.

I used to swim and play squash at the Ajax centre in Alma Road, East St Kilda in the '60s. In case you're short on maths that's 50 years ago, and the people of the Jewish faith were there for about 50 years before that.

The Jews in Carlton came after the second World War. The East St Kilda Caulfield Jews had been around since the 19th century. Ever hear of the first Australian born Governor General, Sir Isaac Isaacs?
Was he related to the Mayor of Moorabbin, Steve Stevens who famously goal umpired the 1966 GF and looked like he was going to have to go off on a strecher after being run into by a player.

Calais
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Furphy wrote:

My sentiments exactly!
+1

Quick question even though it isn't football related ; Ramadan is no good? What's wrong with Western Muslims fasting and donating money to the poor to feel empathetic with those who have no food or money?

St Michele
Club Player

Re: As stupid as this sounds...

Calais wrote:I've heard from an extremely reliable source that Bachar Houli would be reluctant to ever pull on a St.kilda jumper due to the fact the cross is part of our emblem. Now this might seem stupid but I myself am Muslim and my Dad ( very religious ) get's pretty distressed whenever I'm wearing my Saints jumper so I know where he is coming from.. Even though I see it as a non issue.

Hypothetically, If he ever got traded to the club what would happen? Thoughts?
If this is what his faith believes then clubs should respect it. Is it any different from the All Black Carter I tihnk who wouldn't play any games on Sundays.
You have raised an interesting point about others and their beleifs that are not mainstream. I shall now watch with interest to see how this young man goes.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
FQF
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:
FQF wrote:

next is doncaster.

Last 30 years my arse.

Calm it Shakey.

How did you play Squash with a fuse as short as that?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
You played for AJAX ?
I played a few games for them in the early 70's
Was then on the Committee for a few years

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Leave off criticising the guys religion. If Calais' family are observant, he probably has some strong feeling for the religion still.

I know some muslims and all are really good people and not lets read the koran literally and go forth and start a jihad types. Any one that buys the whole muslim terrorism crap that we got fed to start an oil war is naive.

As for ramadan, it is no different to Christmas or Chanukah, a religious festival that some observe with more meaning than others.

After the week end antics of the collingwood players you would think anyone that has some moral strength would be a good thing. At least if Fev was muslim he would have kept himself nice.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:After the week end antics of the collingwood players you would think anyone that has some moral strength would be a good thing. At least if Fev was muslim he would have kept himself nice.
Religion equals morals and good behaviour??? :shock:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Keeps them off the piss.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Keeps them off the piss.
thats true. u can be sure bachar wont get into any 3am incidents....