SAINTS please dont recruit other clubs retreads !!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

SAINTS please dont recruit other clubs retreads !!!

SAINTS please dont recruit other club retreads this year !

As attractive as it may seem to the club to keep topping up with players wanting out or being delisted by other clubs, it has always lead to our down fall. We have not won one premiership with that policy which has haunted our wonderful club for years. It has always been our 'achillies heal' believing we can turn pieces of stone into diamonds !

Now is the time to develop our own players and put some faith in the recruiting staff and draft and develop our own ! There is no doubt some of the younger players should of played more games thoughout the year.

How handy would have Fyfe been up forwrad this year but instead we went with Peake with our second round choice!

There is no quick fix in this regard SAINTS and the successful clubs have proven it time and time again.

The only exception for this rule is if we trade a surplus player to fill a void for a genuine quality footballer (not a caste off) eg ruckman.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: SAINTS please dont recruit other clubs retreads !!!

WinnersOnly wrote:SAINTS please dont recruit other club retreads this year !

As attractive as it may seem to the club to keep topping up with players wanting out or being delisted by other clubs, it has always lead to our down fall. We have not won one premiership with that policy which has haunted our wonderful club for years. It has always been our 'achillies heal' believing we can turn pieces of stone into diamonds !

Now is the time to develop our own players and put some faith in the recruiting staff and draft and develop our own ! There is no doubt some of the younger players should of played more games thoughout the year.

How handy would have Fyfe been up forwrad this year but instead we went with Peake with our second round choice!

There is no quick fix in this regard SAINTS and the successful clubs have proven it time and time again.

The only exception for this rule is if we trade a surplus player to fill a void for a genuine quality footballer (not a caste off) eg ruckman.
Fyffe probably wouldnt have played though. Trading is OK as we only have 2 years left to win a flag IMO and unless RL changes how he plays the young guys they arent going to help us in that period.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Fyfe was gone before the Saints second round pick. He was taken just after our first round pick. Freo used our third round pick to take Jesse Crichton.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

It hasn't worked in the past...

I think we need to put the faith in the guys we already have on our list and start puting more pressure on the players that wont win us a flag.. which are IMO - McQualter, Blake, Dempster, Eddy, Peake, Kosi, R. Clarke, Pattison, Geary are all player with poor 'foot skills' under pressure.

We need to recruit footballers who can not only win there own ball but who can hit a team mate with a kick.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saint64
Club Player

I don't agree. If Collingwood had followed that approach they wouldn't have won the flag this year - eg Ball, Jolly, Brown!!!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: SAINTS please dont recruit other clubs retreads !!!

WinnersOnly wrote:SAINTS please dont recruit other club retreads this year !

good post...hope someone from the club has formed a similar view....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

The equation's not that simple...I'd take Peake over Eddy, Ray over Mini, Gardi over a lot of players, as I did Gehrig, Hammill and Penny. I think you're referring to players with crap disposal, and we're quite good at developing these ourselves.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saint64 wrote:I don't agree. If Collingwood had followed that approach they wouldn't have won the flag this year - eg Ball, Jolly, Brown!!!
Add their skipper to that list.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

FFS - trading for players is not a sin.

Then: Tom Harley was a Port Adelaide reject.
Now: Premiership captain

Then: Stuart Dew was a fat bastard with no club and who weighed 125 kg.
Now: Stuart Dew is a fat bastard and weighs 125 kg - and won a premiership off his own boot.

Then: Darren Jolly, Luke Ball, Leigh Brown - aging re-treads.
Now: Darren Jolly, Luke Ball, Leigh Brown - premiership heroes.

Get the right players.

Our drafting has NOT been sharp for several years.

It's been trade week - think Gardiner, Ray, Schneider, Dempster, King - that got us so close.

We need to keep trading aggressively.

We need to start drafting decently.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Winmar
Club Player

Trading is the only way I can see of us staying in contention beyond the short term. Some of my favourite players in recent times have been recycled.

goods
Club Player

we need Kerr and Cox

PJ
SS Life Member

I think with the change in trade rules things might get a whole lot interesting. I wouldn't be excluding trades based on a couple of bad experiences.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Kerr and Cox 4 years ago..

I would look more at guys like Miles Sewell who has killed them in the the VFL for 2 seasons and hasn't been picked up. Arrowsmith looked a good mid sized forward.

Surely with the draft concessions there will be f$#@ all left for us by the time we get to the table- remember Gold coast has already been cherry picking the best 17 year olds before draft time for a couple of years. There is not going to be a lot left that are outstanding. I think GWS has them this year, we are going to have to get very creative if not trading for recycled players.

Freos best pick ups were Silvagni and Barlow, barlow by the way finished high in the B&F despite a limited season and could have grabbed a brownlow if not for bad luck with injury. Both vfl journey men.