If it had been a home and away game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If it had been a home and away game

The following players would not have been named fit to play

Montagna
Jones
Dal Santo
Gram
Koschitzke

We were seriously up against it, folks

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Wel I guess we have no depth!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
oakleighboy
Club Player

Stop looking for bloody excuses.
Guys like yo are so blind to the truth.
Wake up and smell the roses.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

oakleighboy wrote:Stop looking for bloody excuses.
Got anything at all positve to say?

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Everyone knew before the game that Eddy, McQualter, Kosi and Peake are hopeless. Why not be bold and bring in players who have an upside like Stanley, Steven, Miles or Armitage? That's two premierships now lost at the selection table.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Little Dozer wrote:Everyone knew before the game that Eddy, McQualter, Kosi and Peake are hopeless. Why not be bold and bring in players who have an upside like Stanley, Steven, Miles or Armitage? That's two premierships now lost at the selection table.
Whatever!

Do you think that the side is picked out of a hat. Thank god you are not the coach.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

What makes me happy today is now we know next year those guys above and a couple more will be out, and youth in. OR it SHOULD be that way. If not, we know we have problems far worse than what we perceive at the moment!

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

IluvHarvey wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:Everyone knew before the game that Eddy, McQualter, Kosi and Peake are hopeless. Why not be bold and bring in players who have an upside like Stanley, Steven, Miles or Armitage? That's two premierships now lost at the selection table.
Whatever!

Do you think that the side is picked out of a hat. Thank god you are not the coach.
Great argument! Ross Lyon is an excellent coach, his blind faith in these blokes has cost us two flags though IMHFO.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

oakleighboy wrote:Stop looking for bloody excuses.
So I took your advice and came up with this: Not only were we outsmarted, we were playing with broken cattle.

f****** muppet...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I'm still waiting for our 'depth' to actually show some talent.

Miles, Steven, Armo - glimpses.

The rest - pretty much zip.

Geez. there was a time when you actually earned a slot in the seniors. These days seems your beep test and your 20 second sprint time are all that's required. Bugger form in the magoos. Thats for dinosaurs who don't know nuthin...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
devil saint
Club Player

Thinline wrote:I'm still waiting for our 'depth' to actually show some talent.

Miles, Steven, Armo - glimpses.

The rest - pretty much zip.

Geez. there was a time when you actually earned a slot in the seniors. These days seems your beep test and your 20 second sprint time are all that's required. Bugger form in the magoos. Thats for dinosaurs who don't know nuthin...
I agree to an extent but young players will never improve unless they get consistent game time in seniors footy. That's what Collingwood has done better than us imo. The coach perhaps needs to show some unconditional faith in them for a time whilst they find their feet - he needs to find the best way to get the most out of the players on the list like Malthouse does.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Miles, Stanley, and Geary would have been far more benefit to us than McQualter, Koschitzke, and Eddy.

I remember Ross Lyon saying after last year's geand final that he made and error playing Dempster ahead of Steven because of Steven's inexperience, and he wouldn't make the same mistake again.

Well Ross.............

eppo67
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:Miles, Stanley, and Geary would have been far more benefit to us than McQualter, Koschitzke, and Eddy.

+1

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Miles, Stanley, and Geary would have been far more benefit to us than McQualter, Koschitzke, and Eddy.

I remember Ross Lyon saying after last year's geand final that he made and error playing Dempster ahead of Steven because of Steven's inexperience, and he wouldn't make the same mistake again.

Well Ross.............

So your reckon an midfiedl/forward Steven and his Osteitis Pubis would have been a good choice as a lock down player in a granny after five weeks of no footy.

You're a thinker aren't you.

eppo67
Club Player

After the Drawn GF Ross dropped Steven name first and said 'he was up and about and pushing for selection' so he must have been lying then was he?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Eddy is one of those guys given a run in the GF now he is the new scape goat. If Steven had gone in and had a shocker he could have had himself ripped to shreds by internet heros and arm chair coaches. Geary's disposal would have been held up as a reason to delist him, Armo could have everyone saying they should have traded him.

Just trust that the coaching panel did the best with what was available and that next year I'm sure that a few more players will get a run, but wholesale changes in a season that is ripe for the picking seems a little dumb.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Well Ross.............

I don't think he ever said that . Steven hadn't even made his debut at that stage. I would have had Jimmy Gwilt in.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: If it had been a home and away game

cwrcyn wrote:The following players would not have been named fit to play

Montagna
Jones
Dal Santo
Gram
Koschitzke

We were seriously up against it, folks

Don't tell me Kosi was injured again. Lack of awareness is not an injury, it is a fact.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

All had injections in the first GF, and had to back up with more injections in the second one. They were never going to play at anywhere their normal capabilities. Credit to all of them for fighting it out.

On the subject of the Jack Steven thing from lat year's GF, I was in no way suggeting he should have played in this year's. Miles, Geary, and Stanley had all played from around mid to late in the season and all had shown that they had something to offer.

My point was that Ross appeared to allude to taking a risk on a player who had shown something but had not played seniors since mid to late season, as opposed to playing a player who was experienced but offered nothing out of the ordinary (Dempster)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:All had injections in the first GF, and had to back up with more injections in the second one. They were never going to play at anywhere their normal capabilities. Credit to all of them for fighting it out.

On the subject of the Jack Steven thing from lat year's GF, I was in no way suggeting he should have played in this year's. Miles, Geary, and Stanley had all played from around mid to late in the season and all had shown that they had something to offer.

My point was that Ross appeared to allude to taking a risk on a player who had shown something but had not played seniors since mid to late season, as opposed to playing a player who was experienced but offered nothing out of the ordinary (Dempster)

He may have said it but it doesn't mean that he was serious or that he meant it...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

My recollection was that he meant it.

It also brings up the question"s "Who has the last say on selection, and have our VFL players been properly promoted by the development coach"?

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:
I don't think he ever said that . Steven hadn't even made his debut at that stage. I would have had Jimmy Gwilt in.
Didn't Jack play in tasmania v hawks that year?

Before Im 85
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:After the Drawn GF Ross dropped Steven name first and said 'he was up and about and pushing for selection' so he must have been lying then was he?
And he had King do the pregame warmup on the Ground.

He was obviously lying then too.

It was a GF - Coaches, players, everybody says and does things to try and put the opposition off.
Why do you think they have closed training sessions?