Grand Final Dinner Report

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Honest question...what is the eligibility or criteria to be on the guest list for this night. Whilst i fully understand its not designed for tne rank and file fan im just curious. Media? Sponsors? Friends of friends?
Were the grand final 22 mingling with supporters? If so it does seem a little dissapointing that they couldnt give more than ten hungover minutes to the average fans the next day
Bfusa, great report by the way...many thanks
About half of the tables are for the players, their friends and family.

Others there: Club staff, board, former players (including much of the 66 team) coterie members, celebrities, sponsors and a few media.

I didn't want to talk to any players as I thought they deserved to be able to share some tough moments with those close to them, and from what I saw there was little mingling with those who they did not know previously.

My dad went up and thanked Gardi, CJ and Lenny for their efforts this year and whilst none really mingled all were polite and said they were appreciative of the support.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

saint66au

I don't know the actual make up of attendees and how they got there exactly (Plugger66 might) but from my observations:

* Each Director had a table for their guests
* Key staff e.g. CEO etc had a table of their own for their guests
* Other staff had shared tables mixed with staff and guests
* Coaching panel had their own or shared tables
* Players had a table each for their guests (family and friends)
* There were tables of celebrities e.g. Molly, Eric Bana etc
* There were tables for club sponsors at all differnt levels and their guests

So essentially if you are not a sponsor and not at the Club as a player, employee, Director etc, then the only way in was to be invited by one of the above as their guest (as i was) or be a 6ft and hot blonde girl with legs that go on forever (kidding) ... but on a serious note the tickets were around $400 a head and everyone (other than players and coaching panel who got some freebies) paid for their guests or the guest paid.

Having been involved for many years (I also attended this function in 1997) pretty much everyone who had the right to invite were from the football club or pour a heap of money into the club in sponsorship money.

The function was really more FOR the players and the club than for the fans if that makes any sense. It was about celebrating / commiserating with the people who helped the players make the Grand Final - their family / friends / support staff / sponsors etc. Most players had their families there. I made the effort to talk to the families and not just the players as they too felt the pain of the day. More than half the room would have been made up of tables of people associated with the playing group / coaching staff and inner sanctum and their guests.

By the way ... on a funny side note the Dempsters are a very nice family as well and I even made his sister (a very leggy blonde but had a genuine ticket) laugh when I asked if Sean ever smiles ... and the answer is no.

p.s. I was a guest.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I forgot about the 66 team tables ... good pick up dcstkfc ... but you had a much better seat than me!

Also Mr Saintsational Snr was there. Had no idea we had lost Damo to travel for a few years. Currently in Germany.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:By the way ... on a funny side note the Dempsters are a very nice family as well and I even made his sister (a very leggy blonde but had a genuine ticket) laugh when I asked if Sean ever smiles ... and the answer is no.

p.s. I was a guest.
Damn it I should have done that.

Great story though.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I did not see Tommy Walsh there.

Most of the players who did not play in the GF were gathered at the western end bar ... and I didn't see him there.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Each player who played got a table and all other players got 4 tickets each. As mentioned when including staff, sponsors and other guests basically it leaves no room for supporters and the reason being that if they lose they dont really need people coming up to them and asking for autographs or pictures. maybe if someone could guarantee a win they would have a few supporters. It is really a night for the players and family and friends to show support for each other.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Grand Final Dinner Report

saintsRrising wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:

Riewoldt has a very very special relationship with his mother +
He does and I know why. But I not publish this on a forum.
However rest assured that it attests to what great character Roo has.
if you don't want to say it on the forum fine. but why say the above then?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Each player who played got a table and all other players got 4 tickets each. As mentioned when including staff, sponsors and other guests basically it leaves no room for supporters and the reason being that if they lose they dont really need people coming up to them and asking for autographs or pictures. maybe if someone could guarantee a win they would have a few supporters. It is really a night for the players and family and friends to show support for each other.
So you a player, family or friend?? :wink:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:

Because he knows something you don't know na na na na na

Another opportunity awaits!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:

Because it confirms BackFromUSA's observation.

I won't write the full story as some would run with the negative aspects.

The positive is that it was a situation that again revealed what a fine character that Roo possesses.

I think I have been posting enough on this forum that individual forumites can make up their own minds about the validity of comments I might make, and whether they wish to place any store in them.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Thank you for that. Great news about Armo.

did u read it properly? he said armo was moving on....
also scary about farren ray.