You've got to be choking.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

You've got to be choking.

"Deer in the headlights". That's what I saw today. Probably as much, if not more, than I've seen by a side in recent memory. Huge game, huge crowd, top spot on the line and a chance to go a game clear and keep the "wood" on Colingwood and what happened?
Fumbles galore, by those who don't usually fumble. Blokes panicking and giving off rushed handballs to someone who was about to be tackled themselves. Marks that would genuinely have been taken by those participating in the Little League, at half time, being dropped on a regular basis (I reckon at least 8 "sitters") and shooting for goal that brought back horrible memories of a certain Saturday late last September. Which was another massive game and another big choke (dominated play and inside-50's, but missed "sitters" for goal, galore). You could even go back to the previous biggest game our club played before that (the 1997 Grand Final), when we were the shortest priced favourites for a GF in something like 25 years and we managed to go down to a side that we would almost certainly have beaten easily, over here, in any regular season game at the time.
I hate to say it, but this club "chokes" on the biggest stage, far too often for comfort.
I reckon anyone who says that's not what happened today is kidding themselves.
It was a big, big stage and they looked like "deer in the headlights". It was hard to watch. I reckon they need to address that, as much as anything.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

yep...as i said in another thread...we was crap....today.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: You've got to be choking.

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:"Deer in the headlights". That's what I saw today. Probably as much, if not more, than I've seen by a side in recent memory. Hmm perhaps Collingwood have done it a bit in finals recently. Or Essendon on Anzac Day this year.Huge game, huge crowd, top spot on the line and a chance to go a game clear and keep the "wood" on Colingwood and what happened?
Fumbles galore, by those who don't usually fumble. Blokes panicking and giving off rushed handballs to someone who was about to be tackled themselves. Marks that would genuinely have been taken by those participating in the Little League, at half time, being dropped on a regular basis (I reckon at least 8 "sitters") and shooting for goal that brought back horrible memories of a certain Saturday late last September. Which was another massive game and another big choke (dominated play and inside-50's, but missed "sitters" for goal, galore). How about just some terrible intensityYou could even go back to the previous biggest game our club played before that (the 1997 Grand Final), when we were the shortest priced favourites for a GF in something like 25 years (wrong)- Hawthorn 88, West Coast 94, Richmond 80 surely would have been shorter and we managed to go down to a side that we would almost certainly have beaten easily, over here, in any regular season game at the time.
I hate to say it, but this club "chokes" on the biggest stage, far too often for comfort. (color=red](Different set of players to 97)[/color]
I reckon anyone who says that's not what happened today is kidding themselves. Or just has some perspective and knows that you might get some stinkers every so often
It was a big, big stage and they looked like "deer in the headlights". It was hard to watch.(Just like they were against Geelong in Round 13 :roll: I reckon they need to address that, as much as anything.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

That's 4 times now that we have choked this year .... its not good enough :roll:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

How many is it now?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Did we choke last week?

Take the good with the bad. Weren't up to it today but give me a break- 2 lucky bounces and we'd be back-to-back premiers.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:Did we choke last week?

Take the good with the bad. Weren't up to it today but give me a break- 2 lucky bounces and we'd be back-to-back premiers.
And you obviously believe in the tooth fairy...

Fact - 0/2

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:Did we choke last week?

No, but, I said "far too often for comfort". Greg Norman didn't do it every time and neither did Jana Novotna, etc. We just handed Collingwood a premiership today. Said "here you go", we're not up to this.
We were in it up to our ears in the first half, but just panicked time and time again and kicked the ball to them, often when under no "real" immediate pressure. It was possibly sub-reserve grade sort of stuff.
We are like the "Leon Davis" of AFL clubs, in the past 15 years.