The Grand Final Replay Preview - By DaVe86

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Yes,
we seemed comfortable in 'rushing' behinds and taking the kickout option rather than trying to keep the ball in play.
It's probably a reason why they seemed to have so little 'goal success' from their massive I50 count.

Most teams they've played get caught in a 'zone' from the goal to about 30 which inevitably results in them scoring.

Other than the last 2 goals that Davis and Coke kicked, we didn't.
i'm not sure we did it enough, to be honest. bj kicked the ball from the goal-line, in the second quarter in general play, straight to harry o'brien for his goal. dempster gave one away at one point by failing to rush it when he could have.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Were they tricks, or just out of neccessity?

Gardiner got injured, we couldn't exactly ignore it. Kosi had to go in the ruck, and someone had to replace him forward.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote: Oh. That's right. I know why.

Because they kicked 9.14.

Or are you taking out rushed?
We scored the other 0.7.

We forced them to shoot from too far out. Our defence is sound.

Their shots from the boundary were unusually accurate in the GF. particularyly 2 such early on froma long way out an one from a Torp. Good fortune that got them off to a fly.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I know I've said it in the past - but that was a very fair and thorough analysis Dave. No-one on here should really have any qualms about you tipping the pies - afterall - you are a pies supporter.

One thing I disagree on is the comment about if the pies can put 4 quarters togetehr they will win. Well of course they will win. How often do two evenly matched teams play a game though and one team plays the whole game on their terms? Doesn't happen. I reckon it's about who takes their chances when they are controlling the game. Pies took theirs and more in the 1st 15 minutes of the game last week. Let's face it they scored heavily from saints unforced errors as well as kicking lucky goals from the boundary (THomas in particular - Didak is a freak, granted, but still a 30% chance of kicking that goal from that angle and distance)

Late in the 2nd quarter with Cloke they didn't take their chances. In the third 1/4 I got the feeling that those chances weren't taken as the pressure was starting to build on them. Ppl forget that Riewoldt missed a simple goal in the third (in which he poss could have been given 50m after Brown headlocked him and dragged him to the ground after marking) Lenny kicked not what I would classify as a lucky goal, but an uncharacteristic goal in the last 1/4. The other goals kicked were regulation.

I agree with much of your article though. If the saints can't lock the pies down we will lose. If it becomes a game in the trenches, we will win as that's how we're used to playing and we have the experienced harder bodies to play that way.

Should be a great game....