My line up and plan to beat Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

My line up and plan to beat Pies

Not sure Lyon would agree though.....

Pies
Out: Davis
In: Goldsack

Emerg: Lockyer, Prestigiacomo,

Saints
Outs: Gardiner, Eddy
Ins: McEvoy, Armitage

Emerg: Geary, Stanley, Steven

Others considered: King, Miles, Eddy

Backs...

Pretty much as last week

Dawson - Cloke
Gwilt - Dawes
Baker - Beams/Blair/Sidebottom
Fisher - McAffer
Dempster - Pendlebury/Didak
Gilbert - Floater/6th fwd if the use one (doubtful)
Blake - If Brown goes fwd, and they use 3 talls
Gram/Peake - if Sidebottom is used as sixth fwd across HF....allowsw Gilbert fwd

I would suggest Cloke will play a lot higher rotating with Dawes and they will use CHF rather than Bomb to two tall targets inside 50....they will also try to get a lot more shots on goal from 35-50m....not go to the top of the square. I also suspect Didak will start on the bench, and when he comes on push up into the midfield more....if this happens, Jones switch to Didak and Dempster move to Thomas

In Backline
Do NOT handball backwards to stationary target...
Only play on when clear or free player available
Boundary under pressure
Get a spare number back and use him on the way out - Goddard, Hayes, Gram, Montagna.

Mids
Run with
Clint Jones to Thomas - Wing
Ray to Swan - Middle

Head to Head
Wellingham will go to Hayes (run with) instead of Montagna, perhaps Johnson
Armitage/Dal Santo to Ball
Goddard will get Toovey or Goldsack (Wing)
Montagna - High Half Fwd - either Johnson or Wellingham

Ruck
McEvoy/Kosi/Blake - Jolly/Brown

Gram/Peak/Dal/Schnier/Milne/Mini to Rotate through Wings/Mids

Only some changes here
Thomas and Swan to be looked after
They will do the same with Goddard, Hayes, Montagna

Ball is the weak point
Try and get Goddard, Hayes, Montagna, Gram opposed to him on rotations.

Fwds

3 set ups

1)

Kosi/McEvoy - Reid....Deep fwd rotating on the ball with Blake (Bench)
Riewold - Brown 40m out - leading high and pushing back
Milne - O'Brien - deep to drag O'Brien back and work out of GS....Crumb and Lead
Schnieder - Shaw.....High HF....work hard fwd and get dangerous against him....must be defensive on turnover.

Rotate Schnieder and Milne to 1) get them into the game higher up the ground 2) fresh legs and dangerous fwds on Shaw.

Big Change
Dal santo/Armitage/Mini - Maxwell......50-60m (true CHF)out from goal...do not get sucked into midfield clearances or into 50m ..... if Maxwell sits back inside 50.....use his opponent at every opportunity.

McQualter - Rotating small fwd

2)

Riewoldt and Gilbert key fwds

Riewoldt deep
Gilbert across HF
3 small fwds 1) defensive

3) Goddard fwd to partner Riewoldt insid 50 - all others out and work back into 50 to give them room....similar to a pagans paddock with two men.... if frees suck back to double team them.....again use free players across HF....milne/Schnieder/Dal/Mini

MUST NOT BOMB to 2 on one contest.....fwds MUST seperate and block as much as possible and get ONE OUT

Riewoldt must work high in the first Quarter to Blow Brown UP......

Ball not to be kicked on any fwds head.......kicked into space and allow run and lauch..

Last option get out under pressure...Only go goal square in there is a Key tall .... if not boudary pocket, try an get a clearance situation and reset..

Maxell must be hurt when he fills the hole

When O'Brien shephards on the mark - someone blindside him and take him out.

And

If Dale Thomas/Pendlebury/Beams/Sidebottom/Didak are tackled - he must be driven into the ground...they will get tired.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Good job.

I think Geary will take Eddy's spot but I like your thinking very much.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

how about we just win a game of football and compare dick size later?

SimonSaint

Option 3 for me - Go Saints

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Geary would be the logical replacement...

My rationale for Armitage is that he frees up Dal Santo to play another role, as a HF delivering the ball inside 50m...Maxwell will go to the weakest player inside 50.

Which would he choose if
Roo
Kosi
Milne
Schnieder
Dal
Joey - High HF

were the six fwds????

If Geary was there....he would choose??? Geary.

Make him accoutable - put a good'n on him...

Armitage - Big Body to rotate through the midfield

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

ChicagoSaint wrote:how about we just win a game of football and compare dick size later?
Given the size of my appendage there's no reason why I wouldn't want to compare it at every opportunity thanks very much.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why is this guy talking about dicks??

not sure the relevance???
Not very funny
does make too much sense

is he having a go???
if so, good attempt :roll:

either that or he is a dick man....not that there's anything wrong with that

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Good post BM, very well thought out, and can't disagree on anything...

Armo must run for his life if he gets his chance, and clock up more K's than he has in any game in the past.... When he is up and about, he is a far more damaging player than Eddy, and has a knack for a goal...

Eddy's strength is his running ability, to get to contests, attack on the ball and creating an option/diversion.... Issue is, however, he doesnt do much on the rare occassion he does get it.... Armo offers more IMO...

The less handball in the backline call is spot on, we dont play like Geelong, we dont need to, and we have big, strong targets that must be used as a get out cause when we are bottled up...

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Not very funny
does make too much sense
is he having a go???
either that or he is a dick man....not that there's anything wrong with that
whip it out then BigMart....
Thinline wrote:Given the size of my appendage there's no reason why I wouldn't want to compare it at every opportunity thanks very much.

BigMart has TL for thickness but TL has overall length on BigMart.
The deciding vote as always comes down to shape!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Eddy is strong for his size and can put body pressure on and goes all day, but lacks real goal sense and finishing skills. Geary is also a hard nut, but I think he fades in and out of the game a bit too much and is a bit looser man on man than Eddy. I would give Armo the nod out of those three as he is more polished in skills, but the question mark is his stamina and fitness.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

If you think about all the smashing and bashing of last week and add Armo's knack for a goal, he must be very close to getting a go you'd reckon...

There just seems to be this ongoing faithlessness in his fitness...

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Great post BM like the changes as well.

Armo offers more of a goalkicking option than Eddy in my mind, Eddy struggled under the pressure of the game but also failed to make Maxwell accountable enough.

Like the match ups and think Gilbo will start back as well.

I think the Pies may drop Blair instead of Leon, Leon requires a lot closer attention than Blair at this stage of their careers anyway.

The playing on thing is very important to manage the pace of the game early. A close game at half time will play on the Pies minds.

We must get cleaner ball through the midfield than we did last week, the advantage that Roo gives us did not eventuate last week because of this.

Only watching the vision, but I reckon Dal may have got a bit of stick during the week from RL, he tackled well, but was not intense enough for the elite player he is. He needs to be more desperate, I expect a lift.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Never win with Dawson in the team. :P

yipper
SS Life Member

Would add that we simply MUST lay 100+ tackles again, particularly on the younger running pies. Hurt them!! Wear them down physically just like in 2nd half last week.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: My line up and plan to beat Pies

BigMart wrote:

Ball is the weak point
Try and get Goddard, Hayes, Montagna, Gram opposed to him on rotations.

Can only agree. But interesting given some of you other posts of a little bit back :wink:

Good read and suggestions.

TACKLE, TACKLE, TACKLE... That is the key to winning. We need to play the game hard...and hit the Pies hard. If we do their skills will drop off.

DO NOT OVER-HANBALL

In the first half too off we hanballed out of the packs only to feed the Pies on the outside. In the second half we kicked it more. we need to keep this up.

With Roo..important to not to kick over his head when Brown is behind him as Brown showed he was capable in those circumstances.

Need to run Brown around more to blow him up.

Harry O and Milne...keep kicking it wide or off to the side to keep Harry Overated out of his comfort zone. Do not allow Harry to run straight at the ball and he will crumble.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely pummel Harry O early. Give away a free if you have to. Just get in that squibs head early about the fact everyone knows what he's like when it gets hot.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

On selection.

Yes Ben in.

Both Eddy and Mini seems one too many for me.

Bring in Steven, Geary, Armo...or Miles. Each has different strengths.

Miles (the biggest smokey) would free up Gilbert to really push forward all the time..along with BJ. Note that is push up forward..not stay forward.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 30 Sep 2010 5:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

someone headbutt 13

yipper
SS Life Member

ChicagoSaint wrote:someone headbutt 13
Hard!!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

yipper wrote:
ChicagoSaint wrote:someone headbutt 13
Hard!!!
smash his bogan teeth in !QQ

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Great post, BigMart. Few more suggestions

Don't handball backwards is about the only thing I will say. Don't overpossess the ball either - it's how we almost became unstuck against them and how Geelong did come unstuck. Don't be too cute with it.

Apart from that, repeat what we did for three quarters of the game last week (ie everything except the second term and the first half of the first term) and we have them.

Get off to the fast start and the young magpies won't know HOW to react.