Families with mixed allegiance...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

georgie girl
Club Player

Families with mixed allegiance...

Please don't presume that any Pies fans in Saints areas are always there because barcodes / tickets have been given to them.

My husband will be sitting with us in M57 - unfortunately he will be wearing his Pies stuff - however...
He has a Saints membership and has had for nearly 20 years (No Pies one)
He comes to every Saints game and cheers just as we do (except against the Pies).
All our children barrack for the Saints, (no way could I have any of them following the Pies!)
He kicked a Pies supporter out of our Saints standing area last week - the guy made a mistake of thinking he had found an ally.
He confused the Pies fans in front of us last week by yelling for a free kick for Kosi - amongst others.

We are not happy about him wearing his Pies stuff but his great attitude to footy has enabled our whole family to support the Saints together each and every week. The kids gave him a hard time about not supporting Saints and wearing Saints gear last week and I am sure he will cop more of the same this week.
So spare a thought for families this weekend who will again have their relationships tested by their love of footy!!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Families with mixed allegiance...

georgie girl wrote:Please don't presume that any Pies fans in Saints areas are always there because barcodes / tickets have been given to them.

My husband will be sitting with us in M57 - unfortunately he will be wearing his Pies stuff - however...
He comes to every Saints game and cheers just as we do (except against the Pies).
All our children barrack for the Saints, (no way could I have any of them following the Pies!)
He kicked a Pies supporter out of our Saints standing area last week - the guy made a mistake of thinking he had found an ally.
He confused the Pies fans in front of us last week by yelling for a free kick for Kosi - amongst others.

We are not happy about him wearing his Pies stuff but his great attitude to footy has enabled our whole family to support the Saints together each and every week. The kids gave him a hard time about not supporting Saints and wearing Saints gear last week and I am sure he will cop more of the same this week.
So spare a thought for families this weekend who will again have their relationships tested by their love of footy!!
We had a couple of Pies supporters sitting a row behind us or so last week. They were not a problem at all. They cheered for their team but they were not feral or abusive. Unlike the fool sitting across the bay from us in M2. Was an absolute piece of 'shite' and was aggressive and abusive throughout the entire match and a lot of Saints fans wanted to throttle him.

This is what people are getting annoyed at. Why should we have to cop abuse in our own bays? Especially bays that are premium/prime seating for St Kilda Social Club members that are not cheap seats! Personally, had he been in front or behind me, I would have given him a clip around the ears!

Sounds like your husband could almost be turned from the dark side Georgie Girl. You just need to splash a bit of red over him this week! :twisted: :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Legendary07

georgie girl wrote:Please don't presume that any Pies fans in Saints areas are always there because barcodes / tickets have been given to them.

Where will you be sitting?...I'll be in M57 row Q

It's gonna be Legendary!!
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Yes, I will be sitting with a mixed group myself.

Both my parents and brother are Collingwood fans. Luckily I tip the ledger our way with 4 other Saints fans sitting with us.

Sat beside my mother (who basically was 50/50 on Saturday as to who to barrack for). Poor woman had myself on one side, and my father and brother on the other going crazy/head in hands at different points of the match.

Unfortunately we were dealt a bad group of Collingwood fans behind us, who had a dip at myself and my mates for everything we said (called us whingers etc, but seemed to complain about everything when it was against them).

There are good ones out there, but the large number of their fans means there are a hell of a lot more idiots. For one thing, my father can't stand Ben Johnson, and thinks Goddard is the best player in the league. He also had no time for Buckley, and dreads when he takes over as coach.

They walk amongst us...

georgie girl
Club Player

saint75 wrote:

We had a couple of Pies supporters sitting a row behind us or so last week. They were not a problem at all. They cheered for their team but they were not feral or abusive. Unlike the fool sitting across the bay from us in M2. Was an absolute piece of 'shite' and was aggressive and abusive throughout the entire match and a lot of Saints fans wanted to throttle him.

This is what people are getting annoyed at. Why should we have to cop abuse in our own bays? Especially bays that are premium/prime seating for St Kilda Social Club members that are not cheap seats! Personally, had he been in front or behind me, I would have given him a clip around the ears!

Sounds like your husband could almost be turned from the dark side Georgie Girl. You just need to splash a bit of red over him this week! :twisted: :lol:
Oh I agree - we have reserved seats at Etihad and I hate it when we have opposition supporters in there - some of them just seem to enjoy antagonising the masses around them too! If we have a 'spare' seat, the kids are only allowed to invite a Saints supporter or someone impartial who will support the Saints!!

I have tried to change his ways but think that I have done well to get him to this stage. There is NO way I would follow another team or allow my kids to! So I think this is as good as t will get!

georgie girl
Club Player

Legendary07 wrote:

Where will you be sitting?...I'll be in M57 row Q
We're in L.
We had an amazing standing room bay last week and sounds like M57 will be rocking too bc there seem to be many ppl on the forum who are in M57.
All we need now is a win!! Go Sainters!!

Liam_G
Club Player

I'm glad you posted this, I'll be in the row behind you in M57 and will now have a prior understanding as to why a Pies supporter will be sitting in front of me!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Ha ha. My wife and one of my daughters are both MAD pies fans. Actually Ch 10 did a story on us last week re the mixed family. We sat togetehr lat week with my in-laws who are also mad pies fans. This week however I have purchased seats with my saints loving daughter away from the pie clan. I found I was getting too emtional, and realised that if we lost there was no way in the world I could happy for the other side of family. Alternately I don't need my missus and her family putting a downer on things if the saints get up. :lol:

georgie girl
Club Player

Liam_G wrote:I'm glad you posted this, I'll be in the row behind you in M57 and will now have a prior understanding as to why a Pies supporter will be sitting in front of me!
Don't be too unkind to him - his kids have a go at him all day - I just try to keep my distance. I am very one eyed and can't be as fair about decisions as he is!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:Ha ha. My wife and one of my daughters are both MAD pies fans. Actually Ch 10 did a story on us last week re the mixed family. We sat togetehr lat week with my in-laws who are also mad pies fans. This week however I have purchased seats with my saints loving daughter away from the pie clan. I found I was getting too emtional, and realised that if we lost there was no way in the world I could happy for the other side of family. Alternately I don't need my missus and her family putting a downer on things if the saints get up. :lol:
Were you the family on the news that made the comment that last year, the Pie supporting wife and daughter left you at the game and you and your other daugter had to get the train home? We had a really good laugh at that. Mind you, there would have been a fair amount of 'tension' had we been left to get public transport home. :twisted:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

georgie girl wrote:
saint75 wrote:

Oh I agree - we have reserved seats at Etihad and I hate it when we have opposition supporters in there - some of them just seem to enjoy antagonising the masses around them too! If we have a 'spare' seat, the kids are only allowed to invite a Saints supporter or someone impartial who will support the Saints!!

I have tried to change his ways but think that I have done well to get him to this stage. There is NO way I would follow another team or allow my kids to! So I think this is as good as t will get!
They are developing new treatments and therapies all the time georgie girl.

DO NOT GIVE UP :wink:

georgie girl
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
georgie girl wrote:
saint75 wrote:

They are developing new treatments and therapies all the time georgie girl.

DO NOT GIVE UP :wink:
I think I have!! (Given up on changing him that is!)
He went to school and played footy with the great Trevor Barker, knew Jack back then and spent many Saturday arvos at Moorabbin bc it was the closest to his home! Rarely went to a Pies game so his commitment to them is surprising!! He should be a Saint!!

georgie girl
Club Player

Moods wrote:Ha ha. My wife and one of my daughters are both MAD pies fans. Actually Ch 10 did a story on us last week re the mixed family. We sat togetehr lat week with my in-laws who are also mad pies fans. This week however I have purchased seats with my saints loving daughter away from the pie clan. I found I was getting too emtional, and realised that if we lost there was no way in the world I could happy for the other side of family. Alternately I don't need my missus and her family putting a downer on things if the saints get up. :lol:
Was that on the Ch 10 late news??

We had a neighbour who thought it was about us!!! Ha ha!!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:

How big a dog was that buffoon in M2. Kids in front and he was behaving just horribly like some kind of rabid animal. Must have come close to being shifted. I did see the cops lurking at one point. How did he get a ticket there?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Let me see if I've got this right...

* So, your hubby is a Collingwood fan.

* He's held a St Kilda membership for 20 years, has never had a Collingwood one.

* Goes to St Kilda games and cheers for the Saints.

After analysing all the evidence I believe I can confirm, georgiegirl, that you definitely wear the pants in the relationship and that your husband is well and truly under the thumb.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

georgie girl wrote:
Was that on the Ch 10 late news??

We had a neighbour who thought it was about us!!! Ha ha!!
It was on the 5pm news AND the late news. Getting plenty of ribbing about it at work this week. We had to sing both theme songs together as a family. Needless to say my voice didn't hold up too well. I was very reticent to do the story but my kids were busting to be on TV - as was my wife. They then interviewed us briefly

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:
saint75 wrote:

How big a dog was that buffoon in M2. Kids in front and he was behaving just horribly like some kind of rabid animal. Must have come close to being shifted. I did see the cops lurking at one point. How did he get a ticket there?
Don't know, but I was in M3 on the end of the aisle and I wanted to go over there and punch him! He was escorted out by the Police at the end of the match. Really peeved me off seeing him there with so many of our own supporters missing out!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
rexy
SS Life Member

I am in much the same boat, my wife is a pies supporter and a StKilda member. She comes to all of our games and cheers for the saints and has a really hard time at pies saints games as she finds herself barracking for both sides.

Maybe this year?
SaintDebi
Club Player

rexy wrote:I am in much the same boat, my wife is a pies supporter and a StKilda member. She comes to all of our games and cheers for the saints and has a really hard time at pies saints games as she finds herself barracking for both sides.
You don't have reserved seats on L1, aisle 40?
We have a nice couple right near us that sound similar. She is a pies supporter but StKilda member and comes to most games.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
SaintTom
Club Player

My family is half Geelong, half Saints, so we solved the problem by letting everyone that follows Geelong sit together last year, and let everyone that follows the Saints sit separately. We figured either way it wasn't going to be enjoyable if we all sat together - one team was going to have to cop it.

[SuB]
Club Player

We had a family behind us at the Collingwood v Saints game in Rd 16 earlier in the year.

The dad and two kids were Saints supporters, the mum went for Collingwood. Really nice and good natured.

When we were discussing it the dad chanted "Mum's going home in the back of a divvy van!"

GOLD :D