Possible team changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

maverick wrote: Anyone thought of Tommy Walsh?
Laughable.

I mean... you can't be serious?

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I know we've moved on from Armo in this thread, but I have to say I would not be supprised if he left at the end of this year.

He's got a lot of potential, is a high draft pick, and has shown an ability to be a good clearance player, a great tackler and a goal kicking mid.

He has never been given the opportunity by Ross to cement a spot in the line up, he seems to get a run every now and then for 1 or 2 games and then dropped again.

I really hope we can keep him and that Ross just plays the bloke next year, just give him a big hitout, 10 games minimum to show what he's about.

How much did it help McEvoy's developement having that stretch of 10 or so games last year? And how much has he come alone since being given a fair dinkum chance this year?

He (McEvoy) was also a first round draft pick and has shown what he can do. Armo has shown what he can do, but for some reason hasn't been given the chance to do it!

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Stanley for Gardiner. Kosi into the ruck and Stanley as quick tall forward. Will stretch Magpie backline.

Steven for Eddy. Steven can kick a goal, and helps Lenny extracting the ball, as well as provide extra midfield rotation.

If Gram is as fit as he was last Saturday, sorry but bring back Nick Heyne. He's got a hard body and good pace.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Actually, Ross mentioned Steven tonight, something along the lines of 'he's up and about again'

I honestly think Ross will lean towards more runners, and we may not see McEvoy in :?

Kosi was great in the ruck, and FC pointed out very well tonight, that we struggled to keep our ball inside 50 before he moved in there. Not sure Ben would give any more mobility than Kosi.

I am actually predicting

Kosi/Blake in the ruck
Gilbert to remain forward (our backline seem to handle this move forward)

Out Gardiner
In Geary

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:Actually, Ross mentioned Steven tonight, something along the lines of 'he's up and about again'

I honestly think Ross will lean towards more runners, and we may not see McEvoy in :?

Kosi was great in the ruck, and FC pointed out very well tonight, that we struggled to keep our ball inside 50 before he moved in there. Not sure Ben would give any more mobility than Kosi.

I am actually predicting

Kosi/Blake in the ruck

Out Gardiner
In Geary
If one week ago you had suggested that Ross would be going into a GF with no fulltime ruckman when he always plays two I would have thought you are crazy.
Now I'm starting to think that maybe you are right.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
SainterK wrote:Actually, Ross mentioned Steven tonight, something along the lines of 'he's up and about again'

I am actually predicting

Kosi/Blake in the ruck

Out Gardiner
In Geary
If one week ago you had suggested that Ross would be going into a GF with no fulltime ruckman when he always plays two I would have thought you are crazy.
Now I'm starting to think that maybe you are right.
Crazy huh, he may bring in Ben, but I think he will at least consider the above :shock:

Horses for Courses

JABBER
Club Player

possible team changes

in Miles and A Smith

out Dal Santo and Gram

pace pace pace and Dal and Gram didn't look right

trevor barker
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re: possible team changes

JABBER wrote:in Miles and A Smith

out Dal Santo and Gram

pace pace pace and Dal and Gram didn't look right
Pace means bugger all if you don't win the ball.

Out: Gardiner and possibly Eddy, Gram if injured.
In: McEvoy and possibly Geary, Miles is my smokie for Gram.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
JABBER
Club Player

possible changes for

Thinline you wrote Miles cound'nt win the ball but had him as a likely replacement if gram is injured or did you mean my favioutte in A Smith

trevor barker
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re: possible changes for

JABBER wrote:Thinline you wrote Miles cound'nt win the ball but had him as a likely replacement if gram is injured or did you mean my favioutte in A Smith
No. I meant Miles.

I was referring to McEvoy re ball winning.

You seemed to ignore the need for a ruckman.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Is Jack Steven injured or not? I'm sure another thread the other day said he was.
If he isn't, I would definitely bring him in for Eddy.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

mcevoy has to come in for mine. should never have been out in my opinion. has been awesome all year and with gwilt our two most improved for the season.

eddy must go out for mine too. was waaaaay out of his depth and really felt the pressure.

#1 Ryder fan
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

MC Gusto wrote:
eddy must go out for mine too. was waaaaay out of his depth and really felt the pressure.
I don't really understand this comment. Yes Eddy looked overawed at the occasion, but surely he is better for playing. Who do we replace him with Armo? He never has played in a GF and could possibly be overawed as well. Geary or Steven? they never have played in a final let alone a Grand Final. I honestly believe that if Eddy stays in we will see a completely different game from him.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:
I don't really understand this comment. Yes Eddy looked overawed at the occasion, but surely he is better for playing. Who do we replace him with Armo? He never has played in a GF and could possibly be overawed as well. Geary or Steven? they never have played in a final let alone a Grand Final. I honestly believe that if Eddy stays in we will see a completely different game from him.
I agree re: Eddy, he's capable, and he has a rare chance to attone. Replacing a noobie with a noobie does not present an immediate benefit to me, unless it's to suit a specific gameplan.

StSteven
Club Player

SEN reporting Kingy may get up........what!

longtimesaint
Club Player

Perhaps we could recall Banger now he has left the Blues.
He used to be good in finals like King.

One year will be our year
missgez
Club Player

No full time ruckman hey... perhaps Thommo is not as crazy as we thought :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:SEN reporting Kingy may get up........what!
King is still a player..so would be training.

Who knows...something could happen to Ben (so touch wood) and so you need every back up plan in place.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

gearys a sniff i reckon

with jack a wild card

big boy is an auto obviously

StPeter
Club Player

Surely Eddy must go...how many chances can he have?

He was easily our worst player in both the finals he played last year, another shocker last Saturday. I cannot understand why he gets so many more chances than the other fringe players when he has shown so little.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

There's no autos ... we did well in the ruck with Blake and Kosi and McEvoy is not a tap ruckman that is going to make the difference.

.. we may need to bring in Geary and Miles for Eddy and Gardiner ?

The plan may be to beat them on the ground... and stop their rebounding and quick half back line (Maxwell, Thomas and Shaw) which had 70 possessions.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 28 Sep 2010 4:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kris1
Club Player

If McEvoy doesn't play and something happens to Kosi or Blake we would be in trouble I would have thought. Can't imagine Ross taking that risk after what happened to Gards?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Still say big mac most likely but if you could guarantee that King would get through the GF without going down like Gardy, he would be a walk up start.

Macs still not a great ruckman but adds something around the ground. Geary is the only one I could seriously see coming in though of the rest.

Be patient with Armo, he is a long term replacement for Lenny, he had his injury problems this season and will get more time next year IMO. I think they will manage Lenny's body in the next couple of years to get him through with a few more benchings.

Jack Steven is another that at a club a bit further down the ladder would see a bit more game time. It's a shame if the club isn't communicating this to the players waiting for a spot.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Still say big mac most likely but if you could guarantee that King would get through the GF without going down like Gardy, he would be a walk up start.

Macs still not a great ruckman but adds something around the ground. Geary is the only one I could seriously see coming in though of the rest.

Be patient with Armo, he is a long term replacement for Lenny, he had his injury problems this season and will get more time next year IMO. I think they will manage Lenny's body in the next couple of years to get him through with a few more benchings.

Jack Steven is another that at a club a bit further down the ladder would see a bit more game time. It's a shame if the club isn't communicating this to the players waiting for a spot.
Nah, would go for any of the other options before I went for Kingy.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great bloke etc.

But really, he's a slow aging ruckman who has played little this year and who poses no threat as a forward. We can't seriously be looking at bringing a small in to replace Gardi on one hand and replacing him with King on the other.

If a ruck comes in it has to be Ben.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Kris1 wrote:If McEvoy doesn't play and something happens to Kosi or Blake we would be in trouble I would have thought. Can't imagine Ross taking that risk after what happened to Gards?
But what if nothing goes wrong with Kosi and Blake - who are doing just fine in the ruck and we have an extra plodder when we could have done with another ground level player ?

We have a few sore ground level players that may appreciate the extra rotations and also the help the extra ground level player would provide - with chase and pressure.