in ray's defence

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

in ray's defence

i watched the replay last night on fox tel and i dont think Farren Ray heard the whistile when he gave away 50 meters .in the first quarter a collingwood played kicked a goal after our free kick and no 50 meters. the umpires done a great job but collingwood should'nt complain

trevor barker
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

The 50 was a joke!

The Collingwood player hadn't even stood up yet, and by the time he had, and was ready to receive the ball, Dal Santo was passing it to him.

The call was too quick by the umpire IMO.

They walk amongst us...

Solar
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:The 50 was a joke!

The Collingwood player hadn't even stood up yet, and by the time he had, and was ready to receive the ball, Dal Santo was passing it to him.

The call was too quick by the umpire IMO.
agree, ye further on in the game we got a free for ot on the full, the player on the mark miss threw the ball back, it bounced half way to the player who was taking the kick....

result..... no 50.

Seriously all we ask is for consistant umpiring.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
ChicagoSaint
Club Player

was it ryan?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The umps were pretty good IMO. Let it flow and only paid the obvious frees.

That's how it should be in the GF.

However because it is the GF, they have to be really, really sure before they pay any 50s. And the reality is that in most instances, unlike the free itself, the ump can take a second or two to consider whether a further penalty applies.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:The umps were pretty good IMO. Let it flow and only paid the obvious frees.

However because it is the GF, they have to be really, really sure before they pay any 50s. And the reality is that in most instances, unlike the free itself, the ump can take a second or two to consider whether a further penalty applies.
yeah, but was it ryan?

older saint
SS Life Member

It was dumb and a 50 . Really cost us momentum.

That said Eddy should have got 50 also in the last quarter when the ball slipped out of the collingwood players hand.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It seemed fair enough to me.

It was an obvious free kick. Play had stopped, the whistle had been blown, nobody other than Ray seemed to be trying to play on.

If an opposition player was doing what Ray did, everyone on here would be screaming for a 50m to us. Every time.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:The umps were pretty good IMO. Let it flow and only paid the obvious frees.

agree, it was one of the few things I had a complaignt about.

Oh and holding the ball. Otherwise it was very well umpired.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Unfortunately it is definately a 50m penalty. If the umpire didn't ping that one it would have happened all day. I actually thought the umpiring was pretty good. Probably the best I have seen all year!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Biggest joke of the game, after Milne and Kosi somehow missing blatant shoves in the back in a one-on-one contest. There goes a 3 goal victory. Never mind, we cost ourselves more than that in poor forward delivery, so we really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory (with some umpiring assistance), but we had a dirty day.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:...That said Eddy should have got 50 also in the last quarter when the ball slipped out of the collingwood players hand.
Not only that, he went two metres over the mark to retrieve it and still didn't give it back on the full.

Other than that, the umpiring was top rate.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

perfectionist wrote:
older saint wrote:...That said Eddy should have got 50 also in the last quarter when the ball slipped out of the collingwood players hand.
Not only that, he went two metres over the mark to retrieve it and still didn't give it back on the full.

I think some decent common sense was used in this instance. You could tell by the way he scrambled to not let it hit the ground that the ball just slipped out of his hands.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
degruch
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

I think some decent common sense was used in this instance. You could tell by the way he scrambled to not let it hit the ground that the ball just slipped out of his hands.
Too bad decent common sense applied for Collingwood, yet thrown out the window for us. Really, consistancy would make a big difference, and umpires need to properly assess what's going on around them before awarding a penalty that is sure to be a goal.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote: I actually thought the umpiring was pretty good. Probably the best I have seen all year!
It wasn't the umpiring that was good. Rather, it was the instructions that they were under. Let it go and only pay the most obvious. This begs the question, why can't it always be like that?

Umpiring is the application of rules and summary justice. You can't have different rules or different forms of application for different days. Imagine if you drove in a 60 kph zone but on Tuesdays you can do 80! It is ridiculous. At the end of the day, the GF is no different than any other game. Only the stakes are higher but the game is the game. The instructions that the umpires were under were perfect and that is the way ALL games should be umpired.

Carna Saints!!!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Did anyone notice when Wellingham could've given away 50 after a Schneider mark on our HFF in the fourth?

Wellingham threw the ball back to Schneider but it slipped out of his hands as he threw it and desperately tried to get to it before it bounced but couldn't.

Would've been harsh to pay it but they would've in H&A.

Footy needs to go straight back to the player on the full... apparently.