play injured players a dangerous move

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saints66
Club Player

play injured players a dangerous move

I hope we play fresh legs and fully fit players armo gerry miles big mac all run out. dal gram gardi gilbo in doubt.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Why is Gilbert in doubt, is it his cramp as he walked off or has something been mentioned?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: play injured players a dangerous move

saints66 wrote:I hope we play fresh legs and fully fit players armo gerry miles big mac all run out. dal gram gardi gilbo in doubt.
Tell me you seriously dont want all those guys to play? If those were the actual changes I wouldnt waste my time getting a ticket.

saints66
Club Player

gram had cramp too as did dal played good games but clearly not there best bit more to it me thinks

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: play injured players a dangerous move

plugger66 wrote:
saints66 wrote:I hope we play fresh legs and fully fit players armo gerry miles big mac all run out. dal gram gardi gilbo in doubt.
Tell me you seriously dont want all those guys to play? If those were the actual changes I wouldnt waste my time getting a ticket.
What about Tommy Walsh. Lynch and Heyne as well?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dal santo and Gram are injured which has been publicised, but where did you hear Gilbert was carrying an injury? Is it because he was limping at the end of the game, which to me looked like cramp as he loosened back up.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Dal santo and Gram are injured which has been publicised, but where did you hear Gilbert was carrying an injury? Is it because he was limping at the end of the game, which to me looked like cramp as he loosened back up.
Yeah after he stood up.

Looked like he injured a ball.

Sorry, I mean, it looked like he was injured like Ball (cramp :wink: )

markp
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert got up, looked very stiff, then broke into a jog... cant be too serious.

Also, for what it's worth last night RL said Dal was fine (told him he was 100% before the game), just thought he was psychologically hampered after the hammy... and said Gram had rung him to say he will lift his work rate next week. It all sounded convincing to me.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Pure speculation on my part but:

* Gardi: Unfortunately has done his hammy. But we have good options to cover in Ben/Kosi/Blake

* Gilbo. Cramped. Scans just precaustion. Will play.

* Dal with another week should be a lot fitter. Will play.

That really just leaves Gram as the one that is not known, and who may not be know till Thurs+. You would expect that he would be better with another week BUT groins are notoriously slow to recover and so there may bill little difference.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo's absolutely peachy to go. Cramped up once he stopped moving. Let em think it's a hip or whatever tho.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Gram and Dal were at their most physical at the end of the game.

Gram sprinted 50 metres - as fast as ever - to get to a contest with 20 seconds to go in the game.

Seeing that our rucks in Blake and Kosi had as many hitouts as Collingwood's ruck pair - I'd be thinking of bringing another ground level player instead of McEvoy... probably Geary.

We need leg speed to soak up and counter their full on pressure again - Gardiner being off the ground meant we had one less plodder and another ground level player on the ground last week.

So Geary in .. for Gardiner.

McEvoy does not have the required leg speed - but is going to be a star of the future.

GO SAINTS
Last edited by samoht on Tue 28 Sep 2010 11:37am, edited 2 times in total.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Collingwood have as many (if not more) sore/injury clouded players as we do. That was one hell of a hard tough game and recovery is the key this week.

Don't expect any more than 1 or 2 changes for each side.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saintsareprettygoodhey
Club Player

Gram has spoken to Ross and said he is 100% committed to playing this week. He will play.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Gram and Dal were at their most physical at the end of the game.

Gram sprinted 50 metres - as fast as ever - to get to a contest with 20 seconds to go in the game.

Seeing that our rucks in Blake and Kosi had as many hitouts as Collingwood's ruck pair - I'd be thinking of bringing another ground level player instead of McEvoy... probably Geary.

We need leg speed to soak up and counter their full on pressure again - Gardiner being off the ground meant we had one less plodder and another ground level player on the ground last week.

So Geary in .. for Gardiner.

McEvoy does not have the required leg speed - but is going to be a star of the future.

GO SAINTS
On reflection there is now no doubt in my mind that Gram and Dal both finished better than they started.

Dal in particular. He was well in the thick of things in the crucial 4th term.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintsareprettygoodhey wrote:Gram has spoken to Ross and said he is 100% committed to playing this week. He will play.
well, he would want to say that would he not?

i mean last week he said he was 90% fit and would play.
very few players would put their hand up and say i am too sore to play.

presti did it last week though.

eppo67
Club Player

Here you samoht BUT to many of our inside 50's in the last half were picked off in the air. How many times was Milney left to compete with O'Brien/Shaw and Maxwell with no one.

McEvoy must play. People forget how mobile and good at ground level he is and can kick a goal. He has the possibility of running Jolly into the ground. This will leave Blake to go with Brown & Kosi inside 50 as another target or at least a soild contest to bring the ball to ground for Milne and Schneiderman.

Kosi and Big Mac can also rotate down Fwd. to get Kosi into the game if he is struggling. I think this is very important to our structure this week.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:McEvoy must play. People forget how mobile and good at ground level he is and can kick a goal. He has the possibility of running Jolly into the ground. This will leave Blake to go with Brown & Kosi inside 50 as another target or at least a soild contest to bring the ball to ground for Milne and Schneiderman.

Kosi and Big Mac can also rotate down Fwd. to get Kosi into the game if he is struggling. I think this is very important to our structure this week.
And just how fired up would the Big Mac be! :)

(I know all players in a GF should be fired up to the max anyway, but I'm sure you get my drift :wink: )

samoht
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Here you samoht BUT to many of our inside 50's in the last half were picked off in the air. How many times was Milney left to compete with O'Brien/Shaw and Maxwell with no one.

McEvoy must play. People forget how mobile and good at ground level he is and can kick a goal. He has the possibility of running Jolly into the ground. This will leave Blake to go with Brown & Kosi inside 50 as another target or at least a soild contest to bring the ball to ground for Milne and Schneiderman.

Kosi and Mcevoy are also 2 plodders... we can afford one.
To win we will need to counter their run and rebound off half back - Thomas and Shaw and Maxwell... we need ground level players to do that

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
eppo67 wrote:McEvoy must play. People forget how mobile and good at ground level he is and can kick a goal. He has the possibility of running Jolly into the ground. This will leave Blake to go with Brown & Kosi inside 50 as another target or at least a soild contest to bring the ball to ground for Milne and Schneiderman.

(I know all players in a GF should be fired up to the max anyway, but I'm sure you get my drift :wink: )
and McEvoy if he plays has had a weeks rest, while Jolly has not!. I would bring mcEvoy in, still need a big man down in the foward line if Kosi also plays in the ruck.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
eppo67 wrote:Here you samoht BUT to many of our inside 50's in the last half were picked off in the air. How many times was Milney left to compete with O'Brien/Shaw and Maxwell with no one.

Kosi and Mcevoy are also 2 plodders.
To win we will need to counter their run and rebound off half back - Thomas and Shaw and Maxwell... we need ground level players to do that.
Jolly, Brown, and Dawes also plod mightily well too.

Two talls for us for mine. Work a tired Jolly over. Also gives us rotatable marking targets forward and also a permanent tall marking option on the fwd flank for zone busting on the kick ins.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

and McEvoy if he plays has had a weeks rest, while Jolly has not!. I would bring mcEvoy in, still need a big man down in the foward line if Kosi also plays in the ruck.
We did well with just Blake and Kosi - I still reckon we need that extra ground level player that we had when Gardiner was on the bench.
So Geary for Gardiner makes sense.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Gram and Dal both improved as the game went on, they played a grand final and their bodies held up to the intensity...shouldn't go in with the same doubts.

eppo67
Club Player

I would not call McEvoy a plodder he is very atheltic and mobile for big man. Dont get too carried away with the run thing they should have run right over us if their advantage in this are was so great (eg. Extra days break and we had a man down.)

They rebounded off half back so often b/c their half backline took too many uncontested marks in that location. Need a marking contest at that location no just Roo then we become too predictable to counter. Just has to be McEvoy just perfect for this opportunity.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

Two talls for us for mine. Work a tired Jolly over. Also gives us rotatable marking targets forward and also a permanent tall marking option on the fwd flank for zone busting on the kick ins.
Brown and Dawes are definitely not plodders.

.. don't forget we had an extra ground level player in the second half - because we had Kosi on the ground in the second half doing the ruck work with no Gardiner - so we always had the extra ground level player last week instead of the second plodder.
So to get back to last week's balance (in the 2nd half) - we will need to bring in a ground level player - I suggest Geary.
In the second half last week we seemed to get the balance right - in Gardiner's absence.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Brown and Dawes are definitely not plodders.

.. don't forget we had an extra ground level player in the second half - because we had Kosi on the ground in the second half doing the ruck work with no Gardiner - so we always had the extra ground level player last week instead of the second plodder.
So to get back to last week's balance (in the 2nd half) - we will need to bring in a ground level player - I suggest Geary.
In the second half last week we seemed to get the balance right - in Gardiner's absence.
We disagree. There you go! :D