Possible team changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

eppo67
Club Player

Fair enough Plugger but he has hardly had the opportunities of say Mini. But as far as run and spread possibly you are right but that is why I am suggesting him as a defensive Fwd. for this specific game. I really like Eddy but Armo's skills are alot better and often a G/F will come down to skill level. Just think that left foot could do some damage up Fwd. IMO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
eppo67 wrote:Are you sure plugger I'm pretty sure ARMO has a very high tackle count for the amount of time he spends on the ground. I think he is really suited for a defensive fwd. position and would have him over Eddy who IMO goes to ground too often.
He is an excellent tackler but doesnt run and spread like good players should do. He isnt fast or fit enough to do the role of Eddy IMO or he would have done it already. He is an in and under midfielder with ordinary defensive qualities.
+1, trade him
They should probably keep him if he wants to stay. Good back up player if a mid gets injured.

DWOODROW
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
eppo67 wrote:Are you sure plugger I'm pretty sure ARMO has a very high tackle count for the amount of time he spends on the ground. I think he is really suited for a defensive fwd. position and would have him over Eddy who IMO goes to ground too often.
He is an excellent tackler but doesnt run and spread like good players should do. He isnt fast or fit enough to do the role of Eddy IMO or he would have done it already. He is an in and under midfielder with ordinary defensive qualities.
+1, trade him
They should probably keep him if he wants to stay. Good back up player if a mid gets injured.
All he ever will be at the Saints, a back up player.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
+1, trade him
He will, if he wants to be. Poor guy's too underdone this years for consideration, IMO. He needs to talk to Dempster about self-belief, as he is one guy who regularly talks up his uselessness, but backs it up with great games...like he's talked himself so far down he's up!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
+1, trade him
Not if he improves. Have you seen Gwilt this year?

DWOODROW
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
+1, trade him
Not if he improves. Have you seen Gwilt this year?
Yes been around for a while and played more games than not. If he has a bad game isn't necassarily dropped the following week. GIVEN the chance to redeem himself

DWOODROW
Club Player

Anyway enopugh about David. This post is suppose to be about possible changes. Will wait and see on Sat who is playing. Apart from Gards and maybe Eddie no changes I'm tipping.

well that's 2 actually

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

DWOODROW wrote:Anyway enopugh about David. This post is suppose to be about possible changes. Will wait and see on Sat who is playing. Apart from Gards and maybe Eddie no changes I'm tipping.

well that's 2 actually
Eddy not Eddie :wink:

however IMHO Big Ben will be the only inclusion. If Gram doesn't get up Geary and Armo will fight it out for his spot too.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
bergsone
SS Life Member

Is S.King still on RL radar ? cant see it happening But you never know,

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

What I'd like to see is obviously McEvoy for Gardiner.

But then to drop Eddy for Geary or Armitage.
I'm leaning towards Armitage (on the basis he is 100% fit) and then adding him to the midfield rotation and using Dal Santo who is clearly less than 100% as a half-forward who can have stints onball late in the game.

I think Dal made our forward structure look much more potent when he was there on the weekend as he demanded respect from Maxwell, taking him away from double-teaming Riewoldt. Eddy simply does not.

However Eddy cannot be moved up into the midfield full-time so we would need to omit him for either a runner in Geary or an in and under in Armitage.

Having said that it will most likely just be a ruck-swap come Thursday evening.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Did I hear someone say Steven was injured?
He was emergency for the prelim so he must have done something during the week.

I wanted Eddy in the team this year but he has to be shaky for this week, if he can't play defensively on Shaw, Maxwell or O'Brien he is struggling for mine.

Anyone thought of Tommy Walsh?

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

SaintBot wrote: However Eddy cannot be moved up into the midfield full-time so we would need to omit him for either a runner in Geary or an in and under in Armitage.
One thing a lot of people forget is that Eddy is actually quite quick.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
SaintBot wrote: However Eddy cannot be moved up into the midfield full-time so we would need to omit him for either a runner in Geary or an in and under in Armitage.
Not doubting his athleticism.
More the fact that the only thing he is in the side for is to apply pressure and lay tackles. He only recorded three tackles on the weekend.

However, more concerning was the fact he looked like a deer in the headlights whenever the ball ended up in his hands - the Collingwood pressure style of game seemed to effect him more than any other player.
Last edited by SaintBot on Mon 27 Sep 2010 8:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd back Eddy in, personally.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:
More the fact that the only thing he is in the side for is to apply pressure and lay tackles. He only recorded three tackles on the weekend.

However, more concerning was the fact he looked like a deer in the headlights whenever the ball ended up in his hands - the Collingwood pressure style of game seemed to affect him more than any other player.
He got pinged for holding it once. When exactly did he look like a deer in the headlights? I'm not having a go at you, but I find it extraordinary that people can come up with these things that I as a close watcher of the game just completely miss...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:

However, more concerning was the fact he looked like a deer in the headlights whenever the ball ended up in his hands - the Collingwood pressure style of game seemed to effect him more than any other player.
Maybe he was affected by his dental extraction a few days earlier?
(What time did the game start? Tooth hurty! Ah forget it :( )

Anyway, I think Eddy has potential and has improved however he is certainly not at a stage in his career where he can be the recipient of too much faith. Not with such an important game at stake.

If Ross thinks he'll struggle again (for whatever reason), and that there are better (read safer) options, then I can see a change occurring.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
SaintBot wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:

However, more concerning was the fact he looked like a deer in the headlights whenever the ball ended up in his hands - the Collingwood pressure style of game seemed to affect him more than any other player.
He got pinged for holding it once. When exactly did he look like a deer in the headlights? I'm not having a go at you, but I find it extraordinary that people can come up with these things that I as a close watcher of the game just completely miss...
I think I remember two cases where he was caught - both at times when he would be on the end of a series of rapid-fire handballs, the others reacted, he was too slow (two within a couple of minutes right in front of me in the AFL members). I also remember him more than once putting other players under unnecessary pressure with loopy, slow handballs or by handballing to a player with an opponent right up his you know what.

I actually like Eddy - his aggressiveness at the contested ball has been terrific this finals series. However if Dal isn't able to play a full game in the midfield he will go forward, IMO for Eddy.

lefty
Club Player

I'd say...

Gram injured,Geary in. (He's playing injured and not right, cannot carry him along)
Gardi injured, McEvoy or Stanley in.
Eddy omitted, Armo in. (4 Tackles wasn't enough imo with little possessions). Armo will help win the clearances (where we lost), and will help with fresh legs/rotation in the midfield, whereas Eddy can't.

McQualter will hold his spot, however he needs to hold his tackles and should ask Armo on how to do it properly.
Last edited by lefty on Mon 27 Sep 2010 9:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Mini made 10 stick. Reckon he can probably do without the advice.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote: Maybe he was affected by his dental extraction a few days earlier?
(What time did the game start? Tooth hurty! Ah forget it :( )
Well, to be fair, didn't the tooth get removed because of a heavy knock the week previous that had people questioning if he had some kind of face fracture?

lefty
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Mini made 10 stick. Reckon he can probably do without the advice.
We'll unfortunately, it doesn't matter how many you do, it's the quality, and the one which slipped nearly cost us the game, if it had stuck, it would more than likely resulted in a score for us and a win, and would of been a hero.

It's a thin line, and harsh, but that tackle to be honest should of stuck. He rushed it. The Collingwood player had no idea he was behind him either. I don't expect him to do the impossible, but that tackle needed to stay.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
Thinline wrote:Mini made 10 stick. Reckon he can probably do without the advice.
We'll unfortunately, it doesn't matter how many you do, it's the quality, and the one which slipped nearly cost us the game, if it had stuck, it would more than likely resulted in a score for us and a win, and would of been a hero.

It's a thin line, and harsh, but that tackle to be honest should of stuck. He rushed it. The Collingwood player had no idea he was behind him either. I don't expect him to do the impossible, but that tackle needed to stay.
I'm hearing you. I'd rather he didn't do a bloody thing all day and made that one tackle his only stat, but credit where it's due... fact is he tackled his arse off all day.

lefty
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
lefty wrote:

I'm hearing you. I'd rather he didn't do a bloody thing all day and made that one tackle his only stat, but credit where it's due... fact is he tackled his arse off all day.
Totally agree that 10 tackles is a fantastic effort and deserves credit, I'm just stating there's still things he can improve :)

There is a clip of Armo sticking a fantastic tackle on youtube somewhere but I can't find it atm

degruch
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
Thinline wrote:
lefty wrote:

Totally agree that 10 tackles is a fantastic effort and deserves credit, I'm just stating there's still things he can improve :)

There is a clip of Armo sticking a fantastic tackle on youtube somewhere but I can't find it atm
There's plenty of Mini's sticking on Saturday too.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:I'd say...

Gram injured,Geary in. (He's playing injured and not right, cannot carry him along)
Gardi injured, McEvoy or Stanley in.
Eddy omitted, Armo in. (4 Tackles wasn't enough imo with little possessions). Armo will help win the clearances (where we lost), and will help with fresh legs/rotation in the midfield, whereas Eddy can't.

McQualter will hold his spot, however he needs to hold his tackles and should ask Armo on how to do it properly.
I can see how that makes sense BUT my only concern with dropping Eddy is what I call the "hurry up" factor.......the ability via quick close down speed to move the opposition on quickly........you may not get a tackle stat......but you WILL be a realistic chance to get to the contest. Not sure Armo can cover this ground fast enough and Pies have a ton of nimble runners who u need to close space down on fast.

That aside, I'd love another in/under to help Hayes in the guts cause 1 sure way to beat Pies fwd pressure is to win centre clearances.......and I still reckon our mid rotations are short 1 quality which Armo could really help.

Geary for Gram has to happen for mine. Grams 1 contest late in the game was good.....but hes as proppy as all shyte.

Dal fwd I do like to....but gee u miss some midfield class,....

“Yeah….nah””