Roo's massive mark at CHB

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Roo's massive mark at CHB

It's probably been lost amongst everything else, but if it weren't for that, Lenny may have never found the ball at CHF to kick that point.

Probably the second best ever grab in a drawn Grand Final.

saintnick12
Club Player

Re: Roo's massive mark at CHB

Beej wrote:It's probably been lost amongst everything else, but if it weren't for that, Lenny may have never found the ball at CHF to kick that point.

Agree. It was awesome. He just wills himself to those contests.

I feel a bit sorry for ROO in the wash up. He played very well, but was not the big influence many were expecting him to be. He's been overshadowed by the heroics of Lenny and BJ. He kicked 2.3, though I think they are counting that touched one on the line by Maxwell as the third one. All four were form a long way out, but he really could/should have kicked 3.1 rather than 2.2. So hard under all that pressure though.
I guess so much is always expected of him, that even when he plays well, unless he is the absolute star, it gets a bit forgotten. He was very good, but could have been brilliant. He can improve on that for next week.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

There is no harsher critic of Roo, than Roo.

Puts incredibly high expectations on himself, think he will play a blinder next week.

Has he ever played on Brown?

At least he will be able to prepare knowing his likely opponent.

eppo67
Club Player

The delivery to Roo inside 50 was terrible. As the the Herald Sun critics said he got 'the service of a 20 year old Datsun.'

jmcp
Club Player

Beej wrote:It's probably been lost amongst everything else, but if it weren't for that, Lenny may have never found the ball at CHF to kick that point.

naturally, a lot of collingwood supporters are talking up maxwell's mark in the final quarter but i thought reiwoldt's mark was equally important in the context of the game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I feel that Rooey put himself under so much pressure that he never got into his groove. I think the big winner out of the rematch will be the captain, he won't be as stressed going in a second time. He is due to rip it up. Dermot brereton said the saints needed him to kick at least 8 and kosi 5 for us to be in with a chance. Might change his mind now i guess.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, in a last qtr of 'moments', this was our saviour. Another Pies score would've have nailed us.

Everyone has their opinion on which moments could've been - for me, it was just after BJ's and goal (he is now, with no disrespect to Lenny or Roo, the best player in the competition).
All the passin and momentum was with us. Another goal, even with over 6 minutes left, and I reckon we were home. From the re-start, there's another pack and ballup.
Ball is kicked out to the wing, 2 saints after it. From the left, McAffer and his opponent race in. Three to 1 to us - we get the ball, we're away again. But McAffer gets there by a whisker and puts the pies into attack.

That was a moment for me.

while I'm here, there's talk amongst us that Lenny and BJ may be more heavily tagged this week? I doubt it, as it would require a major re-structure of Collingwood's gameplan, to focus entirely on them.

I think BJ was able to be everywhere cos Dal(who cannot be fit) seemed to play as the extra defender most of the time, allowing BJ to roam.

Again, this is all just my opinion.

TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I think the standards Roo sets for himself are so exceptionally high. That mark was brilliant and so very important for us.
I think our Roo will be deadly this Saturday!

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Beej
Saintsational Legend

jmcp wrote:

naturally, a lot of collingwood supporters are talking up maxwell's mark in the final quarter but i thought reiwoldt's mark was equally important in the context of the game.
Good mark but he was only one-on-one with Gilbert whereas Roo's was a legit pack-clunk.

And while Maxwell attempted to jump on Gilbo, he actually missed him and rode nothing but air.

No doubt in the top 5 best marks in drawn Grand Final history though.