What do we need to do better next week?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkfc1
Club Player

What's everyone's thoughts about what our game plan/style for next week should be?

Who comes in/ goes out?

Who needs more attention? (Daisy and Maxwell for mine)

What do we need to fix?

(Forward 50 entries is the big one for me, and our kicking in general, far too many up in the air kicks, easy for Collingwood to pick off.)

I thought our first half was pretty ordinary to be honest, we didn't settle very well. It should have been over at half time. BUT our boys responded as they always do and ripped back the momentum. I think we come out of it with the better frame of mind. Collingwood will have a seed of doubt in their minds now. Cant wait.

GO SAINTS! (again)

:roll:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

stop heath shaw
man up on maxwell

line up daisy thomas (just for the heck of it)

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:stop heath shaw
man up on maxwell

line up daisy thomas (just for the heck of it)
A hit on Davis early will be beneficial too. Infact lay a hit on any of their young players- Beams, Sidebottom, Macaffer, Blair.

eppo67
Club Player

Having Big Ben and Kosi rotating up fwd. will give Maxwell & Shaw much more of a contest. IMO Armo played as a defensive fwd. could work really well basically an in/under mid fielder on the fwd. line. Can also kick a goal and good tackler.
Half decent delivery to Roo wouldn't hurt either!!
Don't forget nice conditions & only 1 tall fwd. Target for 70% of the match.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I thought it took us a half of footy to work the Pies out! We were on the back foot in the 1st, trying to implement the plan in the 2nd, executing the plan in the 3rd and perfecting it in the forth. I think we can only get better... The Pies were playing to their max! That's not to be said they should be underestimated... I just believe Saints footy works! I believe in the 22 troops who step over the line for the Saints will get the job done!!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Can't stop them all, swan was shut down quite well.

Serious serious respect and attention needs to be given to shaw, Thomas, Maxwell.

Ross will work them out.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

EVERYTHING

That goes for every player, every coach, every member of the Board, every member of the executive team, every member of staff, every volunteer, every member, every fan

WE ARE ALL SAINTS: WE ALL KNOW WHAT WE WANT !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

The positive to us is the Malthouse refuses to change his plan. He doesn't appear to have a Plan B, C or D. That may change for this game, but I don't think so.

We have to take our opportunities. We let a few slip I thought early on in the first half. We also need to start better in the first half. We should never have let them get that far in front. It was a herculean effort in a GF to make it back to level pegging in the last quarter.

Several players really need to have more impact. Peake, Gram and Dal are the first 3 that come to mind. Better signs from Dal and Peake in the last half, but Gram didn't seem to make much of an appearance for most of the afternoon. If he is not fit, drop him and replace him with Geary or Steven.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
stevie
Saintsational Legend

A hit on Davis early will be beneficial too. [/quote]

No need - he'll be sitting in the stands.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

what do we need to do better?

scoreboard pressure is always a concern, so hopefully more inside 50s and more goals ... while maintaining our defensive excellence.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:A hit on Davis early will be beneficial too.
No need - he'll be sitting in the stands.

Reason / Source :?:

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Surely he'll be dropped?

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

stevie wrote:Surely he'll be dropped?
Mick seems to persevere with him against the odds. Not much difference in regards to Ross and some of our players that we believe have no impact on the game. Kosi is a prime example.

I don't think he will drop him. I hope not anyway!!!!! LOL

Fortius Quo Fidelius
spert
Saintsational Legend

Be more attacking. We were just too defensive in the first half trying to cover Collingwood runners, that we forgot to run ourselves. Too much sharing the ball around at half back and it came unstuck a few times. When in doubt kick it long, at least it gives our half forwards a chance to gather a loose ball.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Simple WIN!!!!!

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I think we did everything according to plan except for a few bad skill errors or errors of judgement that cost us three goals. I reckon our plan was to be level or close at half time and then go for it in the second half. We were just that bit too far behind at half time.

FQF
SS Life Member

All players coming out of the backline have to handpass the ball low and fast.

Receivers should be made aware of this so that no one is surprised by the speed.

Collingwood thrive on those loopy passes that hang in the air just a second too long. We got caught with them a few times, especially in the first half.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

show up earlier???

the first 10 minutes were shocking

then the 2nd half all our systems fell to pieces.. endless unforced errors

3rd still alot of unforced errors but our systems got back on track.. the rest is history

now the players know that they are as good if not better then collingwood

and the systems work. i believe the disposal will lift due to there wont be "precieved" pressure

rexy
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Be more attacking. We were just too defensive in the first half trying to cover Collingwood runners, that we forgot to run ourselves. Too much sharing the ball around at half back and it came unstuck a few times. When in doubt kick it long, at least it gives our half forwards a chance to gather a loose ball.
I thought sharing the ball around at half back kept us in it to be honest, last week when Collingwood jumped out the cats were unable to slow the tempo and weather the storm, we did this to great effect and thus got back in the game after half time. We do need to get our hands on it early and apply scoreboard preassure though, wouldnt like to rely on a come back 2 weeks in a row. I wouldnt mind seeing our forwards playing a little bit deeper early on if we are going to try long kicking into the F50, remember that Collingwoods strength though is the rebound of Shaw OBrien Maxwell Toovey and the run and link of Didak Thomas Swan Wellingham etc, IMO we would be better off trying to posess and bottle up the game early, force one of those situations where we hold them in defence thrugh stoppages and then try and break out later in the quarter?

Important thing to remember is whilst Thomas Maxwell shaw Were OK Swan Pendlebury were well held, the law of averages says that someone from each team is going to get off the leash, I would be happy to sacrifice the decision making and disposal of Harry O and Nic M if it means that Swan and Pendlebury are quiet again.

Obviously Mac is in for Gardi, I was very disappointed with Gramms output and feel for the coaching and slection staff as they ponder over his fitness, if he approaches the contest like last years GF he could be a match winner, if he doesnt he is struggling to be a worthwhile inclusion IMO. I wouldnt mind seeing Miles for Gram if he is not fit, dont know whether Miles is still training with the group? Thought we were a small defender short? Geary probably more likely but Miles pace is so exciting.

They will plan something for Lenny, we need to get Dal going? Maybe start Ray on Swan again and Dal at HF or on the wing? Another option maybe to play CJ on Shaw as a defensive forward and then swing him onto a midfielder if one gets off the chain? Wouldnt mind seeing Big ben start in the goal square and Kosi first 5 minutes in the ruck too, not sure that Maxwell would be happy about leaving Reed one out in the goal square with a guy Macs size which may let Roo get free more easily early, would also let Mac get a feel for his first GF for a short time b4 he has to ruck against the impressive Jolly and then track him around the ground, they will try and get Jolly forward more against Macs inexperience I would think?

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kick a point more than the Pies.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

1. Gotta come out of the blocks with some urgency - cant continue playing catch up footy.

2. IMO the biggest thing we have to get better at fast is not only number of fwd 50 entries but quality. You cant rely on just holding them and hoping the bounce goes our way in last 5 mins.......FFS at times we could have gone fwd and taken them on....yet we proppped, stopped and went hesitant. We haeb THE BEST fwd in the AFL......would be nice to see him deeper occasionally and the ball bought in with some speed/purpose to him...

3. Maxwell has to be made accountable. This guys carved a career out of playing on no one...

4. Gram runs like Gran at present and adds no tackle value hes obviously not right so play Geary......could add some dash/run we need.

5. McEvoy in.....he starts in ruck drifts fwd at all opportunitites....big game needed....Kosi/Blake support.........would still like to se Kosi up fwd as its better for Roo and our structure.

“Yeah….nah””
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Eliminate the panic kick from our game 'vocabulary'. Block it up. Scramble for the sideline. Do whatever. Just don't hack it blindly forward for no good reason. But if that;s the only option, don't do it inboard!

Find a way to generate run from the kick ins. My seat gave me Zac's POV. The Pie's zone at the set play from the kick in is pretty awesome. But we seemed hesitant to move to create options. We looked a bit stagnant to be honest. What do you do to get things happening from back there?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
battye
Saintsational Legend

Keep an extra player or two on the defensive / boundary side 45 degrees from a contest.

There were quite a few times where a Collingwood player was able to dish it off to someone outside the pack - but it was the player that this person dished it off to that was able to get a bit of run and carry. We need to stop that third link in the chain, because if that second player has nobody to go to they might rush a kick instead.
Last edited by battye on Sun 26 Sep 2010 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
rexy
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote: Find a way to generate run from the kick ins. My seat gave me Zac's POV. The Pie's zone at the set play from the kick in is pretty awesome. But we seemed hesitant to move to create options. We looked a bit stagnant to be honest. What do you do to get things happening from back there?
Maybe set up a long option straight down the middle like Freo do? Benny mac sets up with smalls behind and swooping in from the sides, Gwilt or BJ can hit it 60 + fairly consistantly. Could work if we are having trouble?

Maybe this year?
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Quality ball into the F50 would help.

Butchered it just soooo badly.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....